Sublimation printers and inkjet printers are two of the most commonly used types of printers commercially. Though they have some similarities, there are also some key differences between these two types of printers. Here, we’ll explain the comparison of dye sublimation printer vs. inkjet printer along with their uses.
Also, read the difference between sublimation paper and heat transfer paper.
Sublimation Printer vs. Inkjet Printer – What Are They Used for?
Sublimation printers and inkjet printers are both types of digital printers used in home, office, and business. Both types of printers have their own advantages and disadvantages, which is why it can be difficult to decide which type of printer is best for your needs.
The main difference is that an inkjet printer squirts tiny drops of liquid ink onto paper to create an image, while a sublimation printer uses heat to turn solid dye into gas, which then turns into a solid-state after penetrating into the pores of the surface to print the design.
Sublimation Printer Uses
A sublimation printer uses a heating element to turn solid dye into a gas that is then released onto the paper and eventually for dye-sublimation. The gaseous dye then penetrates into the surface of the sublimation paper to print high-quality images. This type of printer is usually used for printing photos, as the colors are more vibrant and accurate than with other types of printers.
However, sublimation printers can be more expensive than inkjet printers, and they can also require more maintenance.
Here are the most common uses of sublimation printers;
- Printing high quality photos
- Printing documents with accurate colors
- Printing specialty items, such as fabric like polyester and cotton, wood ornaments, ceramic mugs, metal tumblers, and hats, etc.
- Printing items with a glossy finish
Inkjet Printer Uses
An inkjet printer uses tiny ink droplets to create an image on paper. This type of printer is less expensive than a sublimation printer, and it is also smaller and lighter. However, the colors produced by an inkjet printer are not always as accurate as those produced by a sublimation printer.
Additionally, a regular inkjet printer can sometimes be slow and produce smudged prints.
Here are the most common uses of inkjet printers;
- Printing documents and photos
- Printing on a variety of different paper types
- Printing quickly and easily
- Printing multiple copies of a document
See which Epson inkjet printers are easy to convert for sublimation.
Comparison of Sublimation Printer vs. Inkjet Printer:
Here is the comparison of the sublimation printer and regular inkjet printer;
- A sublimation printer is better for printing high-quality photos and documents with accurate colors, whereas an inkjet printer is good for printing quickly and easily on a variety of paper types.
- An inkjet printer is less expensive than a sublimation printer.
- A sublimation printer can be more expensive than an inkjet printer and it also requires more maintenance.
- Inkjet printer has a smaller size and weight, whereas sublimation printer is larger.
- A sublimation printer produces better quality prints than an inkjet printer, but inkjet printer prints faster.
- Inkjet printer produces smudged prints at times, whereas sublimation printer does not.
- Sublimation printers can print on paper sizes up to 13×19 inches, whereas inkjet printers can print on paper sizes up to 8.5x11 inches.
- Sublimation printer uses sublimation ink, which can be expensive, whereas inkjet printer uses cartridges, which are less expensive.
- Inkjet printer allows you to print multiple copies of a document, whereas a sublimation printer only prints one copy at a time.
Overall, the sublimation printer is the better choice for printing high-quality photos with accurate colors, which will be transferred on substrates using a sublimation process. Whereas, the inkjet printer is the better choice for printing quickly and easily on a variety of paper
So, which is better: a dye photo sublimation printer or a regular inkjet printer? Ultimately, this decision depends on your needs and budget. If you need a printer that can create accurate and vibrant colors, then a sublimation printer is the best option. However, if you are looking for a budget-friendly printer that can still produce decent-quality prints, an inkjet printer is the better choice.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
Can you use inkjet printer for sublimation?
Yes, you can use an inkjet printer for sublimation, but the results may not be as good as those produced by a dedicated sublimation printer. Additionally, using an inkjet printer for sublimation may void its warranty.
Which is better inkjet or sublimation?
Ultimately, the decision between an inkjet printer and a sublimation printer depends on your needs and budget. If you need a printer that can create accurate and vibrant colors, then a sublimation printer is the best option. However, if you are looking for a budget-friendly printer that can still produce decent-quality prints, an inkjet printer is the better choice.
Is it worth getting a sublimation printer?
A dye photo sublimation printer is more expensive than a regular inkjet printer, but the results may be worth the extra cost. A sublimation printer can produce high-quality prints with accurate colors, which is ideal for printing photos.
What is the difference between a sublimation printer and regular printer?
A sublimation printer is a type of printer that uses sublimation ink to produce high-quality prints. A regular inkjet printer uses cartridges to produce prints. Additionally, a sublimation printer can print on a larger paper size than a regular inkjet printer.
- Best Sublimation Printer for Heat Transfer in 2022 - April 19, 2022
- Cheapest Sublimation Printer Reviews – Affordable Picks  - April 18, 2022
- Canvas Sublimation – Can You Sublimate On Canvas Blanks? - April 17, 2022